Wednesday, February 24, 2010
For those vegetarians out there.... I am a huge fan of MorningStar Farms products. They are found in the frozen section. I buy the grilled chik'n strips, bacon strips, and veggie cakes. I use the bacon strips the most. I use it for breakfast with eggs, on my salads, in my chicken carbonara (with the grilled chickn' strips), on BLTS, in loaded mashed potatoes. The uses are endless. I can cook it in just a few minutes in my toaster oven. Last week, I ended up at Meijer instead of SuperTarget for some shopping, and didn't have time to hit up the frozen section and ended up grazing in produce. I saw the LightLife brand of veggie bacon (Smart Bacon) and snapped it up. Looking forward to a yummy BLTA (A=avocado) for lunch. But let me tell you.... NOT ALL VEGGIE BACON IS CREATED EQUAL! Blech!!!It never crisped up, remained floppy, whereas the MorningStar brand crips enough to crush and acts like "real" bacon would and not to mention tastes delicious. The Lightlife Smart Bacon perfumed my kitchen with the nasty smell of hotdogs. Hotdogs? Really? I immediatley threw it in the trash, along with the brand new package I had just opened that mealtime. This specific LightLife product is the reason for the bad sterotypes of veggie protein meat replacements! I can't speak for the other products in the LightLife line except the GimmeLean Sausage which is actually very good, but if you are in the market for a veggie bacon alternative, please take my word for it, save yourself the $ and go with Morningstar Farms. It is above the rest and gives me everything I would want from this type of protein Your palette and the piggies will thank you!
Posted by *AmAndA and NAthAn* at 3:48 PM
I can't believe it's been an ENTIRE YEAR since I posted to this blog. Shame on me. Well I am getting back on track because I love to write and blog and share. So I'll start small.
When we moved back to Indiana we decided that we would simplify our life as much as possible. This included decluttering as much as possible, in a way that we could minimize our trash, and go with a reuse and recycle approach. Also to make sure we lived in a completely toxic free environment, doing what we could within our control. Creating a balance of energy in our home using the practice of feng-shui and committing to family relaxation and meditation. One major change we decided to do was to get rid of our microwave. Many reasons. First it is a pretty large appliance that uses a LOT of electricity when in place in a kitchen. Unless unplugged after every use (which is actually what we were doing before), the microwave even when not in use is in fact using electricity for the clock feature. It is undesirable clutter in most kitchens for those who are not lucky enough to have it built into the cabinets. And lastly, just with knowlege I had learned it also damaged the nutrients of the food cooked in it. Of course food is most nutritious in its most natural and raw form anyway, but if you are going to cook your food, the microwave is going to take more nutrients away from your food that other cooking methods. We have been microwave free for 2 months now, and I haven't even for one second missed it. I purchased a nice tea kettle. It looks cute, and takes up a lot less space for heating a simple mug of water for some tea. Popcorn? Bagged popcorn is about the only thing we can't do, but we purchases kernels anyway and use our hot air popper that belonged to my grandma. That method is SO MUCH healthier anyways! So I urge you all to reevaluate your true need for a microwave. Is it really worth it? Please also read below the Top Ten Reasons to Throw Out Your Microwave!
This is from a study that I found here: The Proven Dangers of Microwave Ovens
Ten Reasons to Throw out your Microwave Oven
From the conclusions of the Swiss, Russian and German scientific clinical studies, we can no longer ignore the microwave oven sitting in our kitchens. Based on this research, we will conclude this article with the following:
1. Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long term - permanent - brain damage by "shorting out" electrical impulses in the brain [de-polarizing or de-magnetizing the brain tissue].
2. The human body cannot metabolize [break down] the unknown by-products created in microwaved food.
3. Male and female hormone production is shut down and/or altered by continually eating microwaved foods.
4. The effects of microwaved food by-products are residual [long term, permanent] within the human body.
5. Minerals, vitamins, and nutrients of all microwaved food is reduced or altered so that the human body gets little or no benefit, or the human body absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down.
6. The minerals in vegetables are altered into cancerous free radicals when cooked in microwave ovens.
7. Microwaved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths [tumors]. This may explain the rapidly increased rate of colon cancer in America.
8. The prolonged eating of microwaved foods causes cancerous cells to increase in human blood.
9. Continual ingestion of microwaved food causes immune system deficiencies through lymph gland and blood serum alterations.
10. Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence.
Have you tossed out your microwave oven yet?
Posted by *AmAndA and NAthAn* at 12:55 PM