Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Bacon VS Bacon

For those vegetarians out there.... I am a huge fan of MorningStar Farms products. They are found in the frozen section. I buy the grilled chik'n strips, bacon strips, and veggie cakes. I use the bacon strips the most. I use it for breakfast with eggs, on my salads, in my chicken carbonara (with the grilled chickn' strips), on BLTS, in loaded mashed potatoes. The uses are endless. I can cook it in just a few minutes in my toaster oven. Last week, I ended up at Meijer instead of SuperTarget for some shopping, and didn't have time to hit up the frozen section and ended up grazing in produce. I saw the LightLife brand of veggie bacon (Smart Bacon) and snapped it up. Looking forward to a yummy BLTA (A=avocado) for lunch. But let me tell you.... NOT ALL VEGGIE BACON IS CREATED EQUAL! Blech!!!It never crisped up, remained floppy, whereas the MorningStar brand crips enough to crush and acts like "real" bacon would and not to mention tastes delicious. The Lightlife Smart Bacon perfumed my kitchen with the nasty smell of hotdogs. Hotdogs? Really? I immediatley threw it in the trash, along with the brand new package I had just opened that mealtime. This specific LightLife product is the reason for the bad sterotypes of veggie protein meat replacements! I can't speak for the other products in the LightLife line except the GimmeLean Sausage which is actually very good, but if you are in the market for a veggie bacon alternative, please take my word for it, save yourself the $ and go with Morningstar Farms. It is above the rest and gives me everything I would want from this type of protein Your palette and the piggies will thank you!

1 comment:

*AmAndA and NAthAn* said...

Here is a wonderful email I recieved from Morningstar Farms:

Amanda,

How thoughtful of you to take the time to let us know you enjoy Morningstar Farms® Veggie Bacon Strips. It is great to hear how much you love our product! I love it too! We are always pleased to hear positive comments from our consumers. Thank you!

Everyone at our company devotes a great deal of effort to developing wholesome, appealing products, and it is good to know you think we have been successful.

We appreciate your interest in our company and products.


Sincerely,


Aimee V. Aranda
Consumer Affairs Department

TLXAVA01/cl
020769015A