Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Raw Diet?.... just maybe

After having a Facebook friend today post about this energy providing "green smoothie" she was drinking... I inquired and found out the ingredients. Already eating a vegetarian diet, I thought that any other unique way to eat and gain energy (other than coffee!)would be wonderful. As I was given the laundry list of items in the smoothie... I began to wonder...if I can drink all of this mixed together in a tasty smoothie... I can REALLY increase not only the servings of fruits and veggies I eat a day, but I can also really add a variety where if I was eating each individually I would only eat one or two things. She directed me to a website she likes, Green Smoothie Girl and the term Raw Diet finally made sense to me. After browsing the website, I came to a CNN article about a woman named Angela Stokes, and how she made a huge life change by following a Raw Diet. That then took me to her personal website, Raw Reform. Now after 12 hours.... I feel like I have had an epiphany. After going to the store this morning and purchasing 1/2 of the ingredients for the Green Smoothie (I was happy to have already had 1/2 of what I needed!!) - I prepared enough for 2 meals... it was my lunch and dinner. I even gave a glass to my 5 year old daughter who gave her seal of approval, proclaiming, "THIS IS DELICIOUS!!!" Soy is a huge protein source for me. Soy would not be something included in a raw diet. That would be my first little hurdle, would just to be thoughful of making sure I got what I needed. I think I might try for a 2/3 raw vegan diet (breakfast & lunch) and eat my normal vegetarian diet for my 3rd meal of the day. This website Starting a Raw Food Diet looks like it's going to be a good resource for me to start... I'll let you know how it goes!!

This Filled my blender completely... feel free to improvise,.. change ANYTHING!!
This is 2 Meals worth:

1 Apple (cored)
1 Banana
1/2 Avocado
1 Celery Stalk
1 c. Carrots
1 1/2 c. Kale
1 c.(Frozen)Berry Mix (I used Strawberry/Blueberry/Blackberry)
1 c. (Frozen) Pineapple
12 oz water (I used 8 oz water 4 oz 100% Acai-Pomegranate Juice)
2 TBSP Ground Flax Seed (you could use the Flax Seed Oil - but I couldn't find it)
1 6oz cup of Greek Yogurt (not RAW but I added it)

If you do a Raw Diet, or are interested in trying it... let me know.. I'd love to have someone to dialogue with!

No comments: